Halloumi is a barbecue classic, but while the cheese is robust enough to stand up to grilling, it doesn’t have the most exciting flavour, so make sure it has a really punchy glaze. I’ve used rose harissa here, but you could also try olive oil, smoked paprika, lemon zest and juice.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes
- ½ small aubergine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 225g halloumi, cut into 12 cubes
- 12 pitted olives (optional)
- 12-16 cherry plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp rose harissa
- Greek yogurt
- Mint leaves
- Cut the aubergine into cubes – aim for about 16, slightly larger than the cubes of halloumi. Toss in the oil and cook in a hot pan until almost tender.
- Thread the aubergine, halloumi, olives (if using) and tomatoes on to long skewers, alternating them as you go. Brush liberally with rose harissa. If you like, do this earlier in the day and store, covered, in the fridge.
- Grill the skewers until patched with brown. Serve trickled with yogurt and scattered with mint leaves.